Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Published letter: Salon.com November 30,2007

The following is a letter I wrote in response to an article by Joan Walsh in salon.com, Don't ignore Shtup-gate! This letter is a general response to the presidential campaigns and their failure to address the humanity of the process of selecting "leaders" for this and any other political body.

What seems to be missing in all of these campaigns, save Dennis' [Kucinich], is the humanity of all concerned. What I am saying is that as we are caught up in all the political charges and counter-charges, we are missing the human factor. Immigrants, whether "legal" or not, are human beings and have lives with human needs and desires. When they go to the emergency room, whether with a cold or serious, life threatening illness or injury, they need attention and professional services, just as you would(I am speaking to those out there who are "legal" immigrants or documented residents/citizens, but this applies to all). To deny or criticize them/anyone for accessing available services is to deny their humanity. Do you have a problem with who is paying for it or whom it denies services to? Then, look for ways to expand the medical/health care and social services...there is plenty of money to pay for weapons of mass destruction and private military/security personnel and massive waste/misappropriation of tax money. Do you care for your children/loved ones first, or buy more guns and ammunition to guard against an unknown assailant who may, at some time in the future, come through your bedroom window?
People who love each other, or just want sex, whether homo- or hetero- or bi- sexual, are still human beings. They/we may or may not have "chosen" that orientation, but whose decision is it how we express love or physical/emotional desire? As long as another is not abused in this choice, what is the fear? How does my sexual orientation/practice threaten anyone's marriage? Children witness and adopt behaviors, not words of admonition. Practice what you preach, but don't condemn/judge another whose heart you do not know. I could go on with more examples, but I trust I am making my point.
As I read about the "debates", which are not debates at all, I am perplexed at the failure of the candidates and moderators to address the human face of the issues. Whether Giuliani protected "illegal" immigrants in his sanctuary city, or Romney had a "sanctuary mansion", what is really the issue? We are talking about people, human beings, who may be flawed, misguided, troubled, abused or simply ignorant(not stupid). Before casting stones, check within. How have you perhaps wronged another, whether deliberately or unknowingly(Scott McClellan comes to mind)? Can you take responsibility for your action or inaction? Is it someone else's fault? Really? No one can make you/me "do" anything. Yes, there are consequences to all behaviors and we make choices on how we respond, but we are always at choice.
This may be long and somewhat convoluted, but I wanted to may a point that each of us is responsible for how we perceive the world from our individual perspective. I can only know my perspective and choose my perception. How I respond is up to me. There is only Love and Fear, and Love can embrace Fear. It is always a choice. I choose Love.

No comments: